- “Veneno que no mata, engorda” translates to “venom that does not kill, fattens” and is the Ecuadorian equivalent to “what doesn’t kill you only makes you stronger.” I learned this from Josue after I bought homemade coconut juice from a street vendor and was slightly paranoid that I would get sick.
- I had craft beer yesterday for the first time here at a little hipster hole-in-the-wall pizza place. It was hoppy! It was wonderful! I’m still elated from it! I had been searching for good beer since I got here (and as I mentioned in a previous post, the “popular” beer here is really watered down and nasty, so I don’t drink it).
- I played ping pong last night! It was so much fun. I think the last time I actually played was in middle school. My dad and I used to play a lot because we had a table in our basement. Then he got a more demanding job (more hours, more tiring) and we stopped. I was really rusty, but hopefully I’ll get to play again soon.
- Me, Taylor, and Annette went to a casting call for foreigners to be part of an Ecuadorian tourism commercial! They just took a few photos of us and recorded a 10-second video of us talking about ourselves. We’ll get notified next week if they want us! So exciting!!! Maybe I will get famous here and stay here forever… haha jk.
- I think I’m becoming increasingly cynical and nonconformist. I think that scares people. Oops.